So I’ve been hiring and the following mistakes automatically guarantees disqualification:
- Red flag: A senior-looking resume applying for a junior job.
- Experience from ethically questionable companies. Why did you choose such companies to work in the first place?
- Bad subject.
- Immature content.
- Copy contents from different sources without reformatting them to the same font and the same font size.
- Spelling mistakes.
- Grammar mistakes. How did this even become a common mistake: "I am a alumni."
- Broken English.
- A language other than English, even if it’s a language I read.
- More-than-one-page Resume.
- Extensively decorated Resume. I don’t normally hire creative positions.
- Violation of parallelism in grammar.
The Cover Letter
- Too generic information. If a CL is too generic it’s likely the applicant has no applicable experience.
Scanning and skimming Resume isn’t as bad as it sounds.