The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog: English – 43 characters
Con cáo nâu nhanh nhẹn nhảy qua chú chó lười biếng: Vietnamese – 50 characters
敏捷的棕色狐狸跃过懒狗: simplified Chinese – 11 characters
- Ego is best shown through results
- Say I’ll be working for another 35 years. A hypothetically good track along 34 years has nothing to guarantee I’ll succeed in the 35th
- 35 years ~ 7 crises. I’m being optimistic
- Fail early
- Once you verify you have mastered one skill, quickly move on to learning new skills. Over-relying on a narrow set of strengths is self-destruct
- Among a few things that stain permanently, bad academic record is one, ethical misconduct is another
- When you think you are young enough to know "the new economy", look for evidence of gerontocracy
- When you win, there is no guarantee that you will be heard. But when you lose, your good stories at best look like lame excuses
- Appropriate duration to feel good about yourself after a feat is 2 miliseconds. Things move fast
- There are more polite people on earth than you think; I’m talking about compliments you have received
- The quasi-philosophical question "am I living or am I merely existing?" is pointless because existing in the market is already an extreme luck
- Only do devil’s advocate in small groups in controlled environments. 100% you are misunderstood then ill-interpreted otherwise.
- Spent $263 million in 2010 and $208 million in Q1 2011 for marketing. Source: Groupon’s S-1 IPO Filing to SEC
- Spent $203 million in 2010 for acquisitions
- To generate net loss of $413 million in 2010 and $113 million in 2011
It can be profitable TODAY if it decides to
- Cut down marketing activities and rely on word-of-mouth
- Stop international expansion
- Net income would immediately be approximately $381 million, EPS $1.63
However, the scenario is purely hypothetical because international business is already larger than its NA revenue.
Additionally, cash flow looks good
- $7 million free cash flow
- $209 million in cash
- $82 million in accounts receivable while trade credit is $519 million, or 6 times receivables
In terms of numbers, the current cash flow statement is perfectly healthy.
What’s worth the discussion is innovation in business model to generate supreme profits and create barriers to entry.
A technical note: my sensitivity analysis points out the factor that affects valuation the most is market performance.
- Vietnamese prefer anonymity and love to use pseudonym, like those from Japan and Korea
- 65% online communities are still built on (vbb) forums
- The physical distance between real connections is short people can meet one another in less than half an hour. Online?
- Majority of business is done through old school channels, not online
- Content-centric may be more welcome than relationship-centric. A lot of people don’t know what to do when they login social networks except for playing social games.
- Heavy herd behavior. All we need is a few influencers
- Monetizable segment: young urban female with disposable income from the rising middle-class. This matches with global Groupon customer profile
- Vietnamese love discounts. Source: Nielsen => Groupon
- Vietnamese love spending for F&B, entertainment, education, children. Source: Mastercard, Euromonitor
Click here to view the lists.
- From home screen, select "Setup"
- Select "Options"
- Select "Advanced System Settings"
- Select "TCP IP"
- Enter APN details
Service Viettel Mobifone Vinaphone APN v-internet m-wap m3-world Username for APN leave blank mms mms Password for APN leave blank mms mms
- Go back to "Advanced System Settings"
- Select "Service Book"
- Press Alt+SBEB
- The phone should display the message "Legacy SB Restore Enabled"
- Click here or here to download the service book
- Open Blackberry Desktop Manager
- Select Devices \ Restore…
- Browse to the folder where you store the downloaded service book
- Click Restore
- Activate data package with your carrier. For example, for Mobifone you would:
- Send SMS with content "DATA ON" to 999
- Send SMS with content "DK <name of data package>" to 999. Names of data packages can be found here
There you go. Enjoy the service.
Social Gaming Research 30.6.11 by Clipperton http://taitran.posterous.com/social-gaming-research-clipperton-30611
Social Game Mechanics http://taitran.posterous.com/social-game-mechanics
A list of Social Game Providers http://taitran.posterous.com/social-game-providers
Reading: recession Flash Sale
Secret’s Out: Sample Sales Move Online http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/07/technology/internet/07private.html
Even Marked Up, Luxury Goods Fly Off Shelves http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/04/business/sales-of-luxury-goods-are-recovering-strongly.html
Flash-Sale Site Shifts Its Model http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/business/flash-sale-site-turns-to-more-traditional-retail-models.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=Gilt&st=cse
A list of flash sale sites:
- http://www.onekingslane.com/ – Household goods
- http://www.overstock.com/ – Household goods
- http://www.ashford.com/ – Watches
- http://www.bluenile.com/ – Jewelry
- http://www.jetsetter.com/ – Household goods, owned by Gilt
- http://www.reebonz.com/South East Asia
- http://www.brandsfavor.com/ – the first Vietnamese flash sale
- http://www.nhomvip.vn/ – from VTC Online