CafeF1 reports Baidu has launched 2 sites in Vietnamese language:
The portal vn.hao123.com and Q&A service zhidao.baidu.com.vn
This is part of the localization of Baidu’s existing services to other international markets. Baidu also recruits PM in Vietnam.
I like the portal.
- It’s neat
- It lists the sites that I benefit from knowing
- Lots of white spaces, few images
- Large and pleasant font (Tahoma?). BTW I hate Times & Arial
- In terms of information, I prefer it to vn.yahoo.com and alltop.com (sorry Guy)
- In terms of customization it is nowhere near netvibes.com and iGoogle.com though
- The concern is if I use VNI Vietnamese typing method, the URL messes up
So in short, nice attempt.
The Q&A service will have to compete with Yahoo! Answers. Also, savy.vn is preparing to launch.
The challenge Baidu has in Vietnam is probably public relations.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog: English – 43 characters
Con cáo nâu nhanh nhẹn nhảy qua chú chó lười biếng: Vietnamese – 50 characters
敏捷的棕色狐狸跃过懒狗: simplified Chinese – 11 characters
- Spent $263 million in 2010 and $208 million in Q1 2011 for marketing. Source: Groupon’s S-1 IPO Filing to SEC
- Spent $203 million in 2010 for acquisitions
- To generate net loss of $413 million in 2010 and $113 million in 2011
It can be profitable TODAY if it decides to
- Cut down marketing activities and rely on word-of-mouth
- Stop international expansion
- Net income would immediately be approximately $381 million, EPS $1.63
However, the scenario is purely hypothetical because international business is already larger than its NA revenue.
Additionally, cash flow looks good
- $7 million free cash flow
- $209 million in cash
- $82 million in accounts receivable while trade credit is $519 million, or 6 times receivables
In terms of numbers, the current cash flow statement is perfectly healthy.
What’s worth the discussion is innovation in business model to generate supreme profits and create barriers to entry.
A technical note: my sensitivity analysis points out the factor that affects valuation the most is market performance.
Click here to view the lists.
- From home screen, select "Setup"
- Select "Options"
- Select "Advanced System Settings"
- Select "TCP IP"
- Enter APN details
|Username for APN
|Password for APN
- Go back to "Advanced System Settings"
- Select "Service Book"
- Press Alt+SBEB
- The phone should display the message "Legacy SB Restore Enabled"
- Click here or here to download the service book
- Open Blackberry Desktop Manager
- Select Devices \ Restore…
- Browse to the folder where you store the downloaded service book
- Click Restore
- Activate data package with your carrier. For example, for Mobifone you would:
- Send SMS with content "DATA ON" to 999
- Send SMS with content "DK <name of data package>" to 999. Names of data packages can be found here
There you go. Enjoy the service.