Update quicker, more conveniently and more centralizedly
First of all, you want to stay updated with your family, friends and other networks. Conventionally, you can use phones, emails, IMs or face-to-face to communicate.
But there are 2 issues with the conventional channels:
- The updates are scattered through everywhere
- You only update significant events. How about other every little stuffs you do that matter to your beloved and make you an interesting person?
One solution has come: Plurk
And here comes Plurk
Plurk is a FREE web service that allows you to update your activities, receive updates from your connections on a timeline graph.
What is timeline?
Plurk is not just text. There is the time flowing and the messages look like they float it is interesting and fun to follow.
For navigation, there are 4 ways to navigate through the timeline:
- drag with mouse
- scroll with mouse wheel
- use the arrow button graphics at both the right/left end of the timeline
- keyboard arrow keys <= =>
Updating your activities is one important way to increase your Karma.
What is Karma?
Karma is the point you receive when Plurking. You can see the short list of Karma in this picture:
For more details, you can go to the help page for Karma at http://www.plurk.com/Help/karmaHelp
Karma scores are calculated 3 times a day, 12:00 am, 8:00 am, and 4:00 pm Universal time.
What is Karma for?
With Karma, you can
- Customize your profile and change your mascot
- Use more emoticons
- Maybe more in future
How to increase Karma
- Plurk regularly, but not more than 30 plurks per day
- Invite friends
- Update your profile
- Plurk interesting stuffs to get responses
- Get more fans
Also, beware of actions that lower Karma
- Losing fans
- Friend request rejected
You can also share links on Plurk. Long URLs are shortened.
Clique is simply a group of friends. Maybe 5 of your friends play on the same soccer team, or maybe 3 of your friends work at the same company. Cliques help you manage your audience so that you can send plurks to only the friends who need to be notified.
Badges are included on your profile whenever you achieve certain milestones on Plurk like “Reached Plurk nirvana”, “Invited more than 10 users”, “Has more than 50 fans”, “Translator”…
You can view interesting Plurkers at http://www.plurk.com/browse
So comes the big question: why do I have to use Plurk?
Firstly, it solves the problem: update and get updates. Plurk centralizes all your updates in one place. Plurk is quick. Plurk is fun. Plurk is real-time and is with an interesting interface.
Secondly, Plurk can be used as a micro-blog. Imagine you’re so busy to write a long blog post. With Plurk, you can note down quickly and easily.
Next, Plurk is a powerful tool to make announcements to your followers.
What’s more, Plurk is a place to make new friends who share the same interests as yours.
What are other reasons to use Plurk that I haven’t thought of?
There are some handy tools that make Plurking more exciting.
- Firefox Sidebar gives you a Twitter-like interface in a sidebar.
- Ping.fm allows you send updates to Twitter and Plurk simultaneously as well as other social networking services like Facebook, MySpace, Friendster…
- Karma Trends shows your karma accumulation progress.
- Mobile Plurk is a version of Plurk on Mobiles.
- FriendFeed Tab adds a Plurk tab to your FriendFeed page.
What are other things I can look at?
The press page: http://www.plurk.com/press
The blog of the team: http://blog.plurk.com/
The Plurk team: http://www.plurk.com/plurkteam . You can view amix, deniz, alvin, dima
So what’s next?
I won’t let you stop here wondering what to do. Just CLICK HERE and start Plurking with me.